Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11-07

Six years later and I still don't know what to feel.

A friend posted the other day that this year we should try to mark the day by doing something good. I think that's the best way to manage any emotions I may be feeling. Memories are still fresh.

I woke up sort of forgetting the date, until I turned on my PC. Then I had a wierd feeling. I think it's a day to remember, but a day to really LIVE too, and it's still early to know how to balance all that.

Then I got an e-mail. Last week Deb copied me on an e-mail from an expecting mom who's husband is in Iraq. She had read about Operation Marine Corps Kids and was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Deb and I both wrote back. This morning I got an e-mail from her. Her little girl arrived on Sunday! Daddy hasn't seen her yet, but they did get to speak on the phone.

So today I will be packing up a box from the donations we received and sending it to her. I know that the mom is appreciative, but timing is everything. On 9-11 I get to send her a package, and I get to remember all the brave people who died 6 years ago and our troops who are overseas, while also focusing on moving forward, the next generation, and hope for the future.

No comments: