Sunday, April 20, 2008

Crazy Cute and Easy Baby Cap - Original Pattern by Wormie


This cap was designed to coordinate with a blanket that I recently made using Crazy Stitch.

I love the Crazy Stitch. It’s a very simple sort of shell or cluster that creates an intricate, textured zigzag or herringbone pattern. It’s a great stitch for beginners. If you can chain, single crochet and double crochet, you have all the skills you need to make beautiful Crazy-Stitch projects!

This pattern uses Crazy-Stitch worked in rounds to create a very simple baby cap. If you’ve never done Crazy-Stitch, you should familiarize yourself with it before starting this cap - a great tutorial on crazy stitch can be found here.

Basically, the Crazy Stitch is a simple cluster or shell created by the following series of stitches:

SC-chain 2- DC all in the same stitch or space.

The “SC-Chain 2” at the start of each cluster creates a small loop. In each subsequent row or round, your clusters are worked in this loop. By working in the loop, you will create a gentle herringbone zigzag effect that will add intrigue and texture to the project. It’s deceptively simple, but I won’t tell if you don’t!

Patterns may call for a different number of DC stitches to be used in each Crazy Stitch. In this Crazy-Cute and Easy Baby Cap pattern, you will use 2 DC stitches per cluster in round 3 (abbreviated below as CS2), and 3DC stitches per cluster in all subsequent rounds (abbreviated below as CS3).

You will need:

Baby Weight Yarn (I used TLC Baby yarn but any baby or sport weight yarn will work)
G hook (4.5 mm)



Start by chaining 4 and joining to the first chain with a slip stitch to make a loop.


Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as first DC), 9 DC in loop, join w/ slip stitch (10 DC)


Round 2: Chain 3 (counts as first DC), DC in same stitch, do 2 DC in each remaining stitch from round 1. Join w/ slip stitch (20 DC).


Round 3: Turn work. Chain 3 (counts as first DC), 2 DC in next stitch, **1 DC in next stitch, 2 DC in next stitch** – continue pattern around. Join w/ slip stitch. Chain 1 (30 DC)


Round 4: Turn work. Chain 3, 2-DCs in same stitch, skip the next stitch, **CS2 in next stitch. Skip the next stitch ** Continue this pattern around. Join w/ slip stitch in the loop of the first Crazy Stitch (CS). Chain 1 (15 CS2)


Round 5: Turn work. CS3 all the way around (remember to always work in the loops of the CS from round 4). Join w/ slip stitch to first sc-chain 2 space. Chain 1. (15 CS3)


Round 6-9: Repeat round 5.


Round 10: Turn work. CS3 all the way around. Join w/ slip stitch to first sc-chain2 space, and end off. Weave in the tail of your yarn.


You’re done!
The Crazy stitch creates a very pretty scalloped edge on the cap.
If you like you can embellish the crown by adding a pom-pom, spiral squiggle or small flower to the top.

This is an original copyrighted pattern.
I am offering it for free, but ask that if you use it you will donate a completed cap to Marine Corps Kids at:

Marine Corps Kids
2532 N Skyline Drive
Bloomington, IN 47404

(please check our site for address updates - our address will change in the summer of '08)

You may use this pattern for charity and personal use. Please do not sell it, distribute it or posted on the web. You may link to this pattern at this site.

Thank you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I came across this hat and tried to make it. I didn't do it right the first few rounds then I figured out I wasn't turning it! Anyway, I wanted to make a sweater to match but instead I came up with a skirt usint the crazy stitch. I would like to know if the crazy stitch is something that you have rights to and I need to give you credit for or is it fine that I came up with a skirt pattern using it? I would like to include a link to your hat if that would be ok? This is my first pattern I actually wrote down what I did so I would like to share it!
Thank you,
Angie B

Wormie said...

Hi Angie,
Glad you figured out the hat pattern! Crazy stitch is not my design and you can feel free to post any pattern you write using it. I learned the crazy stitch when making a sweater that used it. If you google you can find a great crazy stitch sweater on line!

Anonymous said...

I made this hat for a sweet little baby. I enjoyed making it, and she looked so cute in it. Thank you.

Jenna Z said...

So fun and easy! I made a little hat and posted it on my blog:
http://destashbabycache.blogspot.com/2011/03/crazy-stitch-baby-hat.html

Thanks for posting the pttern!

akitts1 said...

Hello,
I am a beginner and new to reading patterns. I think I correctly figured out the pattern thru round 4. If I am guessing correctly Round 4 the pattern broken down is SC-Chain2-2DC, skip next stitch. I am having trouble with round 5. Can any one break down the pattern for round 5 please! Thank You so much!

akitts1 said...

Hello,
I am a beginner and new to reading patterns. I have completed round 4, assuming its correct, (SC-Chain2-2DC-skip next stitch). I am having trouble with round 5. Can anyone please help me break down the pattern instructions. Thank you so much!

Wormie said...

Hi akitts,

Once you get the hang of it, the crazy stitch is so easy. You made it in row 4, so you will do fine in row 5.

When you start row 5 you want to turn the hat so you are working in the opposite direction than you did in row 4. Then you want to do a complete row of crazy stitch. You work in the space created by the sc chain 2 at the start of each crazy stitch from row 4.

Does that make sense? If not, e-mail me at wormswords at gmail dot com, and I'll try and help you figure it out.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I made this hat and crocheted a flower and attached it to the front side too cute
Margaret

Unknown said...

Do you by any chance have this pattern for a larger size beanie? I would love to have it for a 6+ month old. Thanks!

Wormie said...

Hi Christine. This hat is not for an infant so depending on your gauge, it might be ok. I would suggest using a slightly heavier yarn and going up one size on the hook, and you should be good! Hope that helps!