Monday, July 11, 2011

Nursing Covers


I recently found some nursing cover patterns online and thought that they would be a wonderful gift for our new moms. I had some fabric that was donated to Marine Corps Kids a few months ago, and decided to try to make one.

Let me start out by saying that I do not sew. I'm not good at it, and I don't particularly enjoy it. Furthermore, trying to thread the sewing machine makes me realize how bad my eyes are getting. That was the biggest challenge of the project!

What I love about these nursing shawls is that they have a piece of boning sewed into the top hem so that mom has a "window" to watch baby without sacrificing any privacy.

The pattern that I used suggested overall hooks for the strap. This was a problem for me. It was very hard to attach the button, and in the end I ripped the fabric. I sewed up the rip and found a traditional button that works, and ended up with a useable cover.

If you would like to make these for Marine Corps Kids, I suggest using this pattern. All of the patterns are about the same, but using D-rings for the straps eliminates the trouble that I had.

No comments: